Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Write on Wednesdays ('WoW') - Revisited


When I was writing over at my old blog, Mummy Mayhem, I started participating in a writing prompt exercise called Write on Wednesdays (or 'WoW' as it was also known). A fellow blogger put me on to it; it was hosted by yet another blog that, unfortunately, no longer exists.

WoW was responsible for igniting my old love of writing fiction. Fiction was my very first writing love. I wrote a lot of stories in my spare time in my youth, including a 'book' I started at age fourteen called The Dance of Revenge - a very dramatic, over-the-top story that was beyond my writing capabilities at the time (ie, it was AWFUL). But very funny to read back on. I ended up publishing Dance on my old blog in a series of posts for a bit of a laugh (with my comments attached to my incredibly poor writing). I still have the original, typewritten blue pages with all their (often hilarious) grammar and spelling mistakes in my possession.

A couple of weeks ago, out of sheer boredom during all the relentless rain we were experiencing in Sydney, I was reading over my old WoW posts that I've linked to under my Mummy Mayhem tab above, and I thought it might be a good idea to continue the story of Kate and Cassie so I can further practice my fiction writing. After all, I did promise myself (yet again) that I would write more this year, so why not start sooner rather than later?

So, every Wednesday (or maybe every second - let's see), I'm going to publish a new 'chapter' in Kate and Cassie's story. I absolutely don't have an outline for the story (and, in fact, never did - the characters were created without any prior thought or story purpose!), so this will be a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of thing, but that's okay with me. I'm a big believer in letting a story shape itself.

Below are my WoW contributions that started the whole story of Kate and Cassie if you're interested to know the story so far. It's a little disjointed, because we used writing prompts that I followed, and when I wrote the first instalment I didn't know at the time I would continue the story, but you'll get the drift of the storyline. The posts are all pretty short.

I will warn you though that I am no Kylie Ladd or Lisa Heidke, but, hey, you've gotta start somewhere, right? All the links are below:

Part 1: Romance
Part 2: Musically Inspired
Part 3: The Facebook Status
Part 4: The Tree & The Clock Winked ...
Part 5: Character Building
Part 6: Word of the Week
Part 7: The Walk
Part 8: The Fight
Part 9: The Mighty Mighty Rewrite
Part 10: Choosing My Own Adventure

Let's see where this thing takes me/us!

J
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your thoughts. J xox