Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Back on track


With winter comes its challenges: comfort food, more excuses not to get outside and walk, less trips to the park with the kids, more time reading on the couch in front of the fire rather than swimming in the ocean (not entirely a bad thing, that. Might just reduce my reading pile soon), more comfort food ...

Not that summer doesn't offer similar challenges. I started the 5:2 Diet in December last year, and it was going really well. I was about half a kilo off my goal weight, and then the warmer weather arrived and we found ourselves entertaining more (pass the cheese, please) and when school started in late January there were numerous events to attend, most of which involved food. But I mostly stuck to the diet. I organised coffee catch ups with friends around my preferred 'fast' days (Mondays and Thursdays) and there were probably a couple of weeks I only did one fast day, rather than two.

In April, Eldest Son and I flew to Perth for a week and I decided to take that week off my diet. How could I refuse dinner, lunch or any other catch up that involved food with family and old friends?! I figured: one week won't hurt, and to be honest, it actually didn't. The only problem was that, on my return to Sydney, everything got busy again with school holidays and Term 2 and I found myself doing more of a 6:1.

It's easy to slip in to bad habits, and I would have to say I've mostly kept to just the one fast day a week since then. Which is still not so bad - my weight has pretty much stabilised. Except for the fact that in the last couple of weeks, I've found myself finding excuses to not fast at all, and coupled with the fact that I've moved in to typical Winter Mode (you know - the comfort food and less movement I mentioned above), I can pretty much tell without jumping on the scales that the weight is creeping on again. I'm definitely not back to where I started - I can still fit in to my skinny jeans (well, just) - but nevertheless ...

A couple of weeks ago, Mr A asked if we were going to take on Dry July (an alcohol-free month in support of fundraising for cancer research). Neither of us have taken it on before, but thought it might be a good way to kick-start a healthier us this winter. I don't really drink a lot of alcohol anyway - I probably drink two (sometimes three) glasses of wine two nights a week, mostly on Saturdays and Sundays. Sometimes it's a little more, sometimes less. But, you know, I figured it would be a great way to boost my 'healthier me' plan. Besides, I've had three kids and managed to stay off alcohol completely throughout each pregnancy, as well as around six months before each boy was conceived, so one month is sure to be a walk in the park for me. Right? (*crosses fingers*)

So, July becomes the month I plan to get back on track: No alcohol and back to two fast days a week - the real 5:2 Diet. No excuses! I know I can do it, because I've done it before. And I can do it because I want to. All I needed was an excuse, and Dry July is providing just that.

J
xox  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your thoughts. J xox