Friday, March 21, 2014

Flash Fiction Friday

image

I doubt this will be a regular thing. I'm increasingly becoming pathetic at doing ANYTHING with any hint of regularity lately. (Especially exercise. I really, really need to exercise more. Must. Exercise.) I just thought it might be nice to write a flash fiction piece and because it's Friday ... gotta love all the alternative 'F' words, right? I'm sure there are PLENTY of Flash Fiction Friday memes and posts out there. I'm not joining in with anyone, or asking anyone to join in here. Just doin' my own thing, you know?

However, I'm already cheating because I'm about to publish here a piece that was published some time ago in an eBook 100 RPM - 100 Short Stories Inspired by Music that I have links to on this site (see above and to the left?!). I entered my story in to a competition and, along with many other authors included in the book, it was chosen to be published. Although unpaid for, we all got to keep the rights to our stories.

Now a good amount of time has passed, I figured it time to publish my piece here. (But if you want to check out a heap of great short - very short, ie 100 word! - pieces, then you can always follow the links and download it.)

In short (no pun intended), when writing our stories for the eBook, we chose a piece of music to inspire a story and it had to be 100 words in length. I thought that would make it easy - what's 100 words, eh? - but to get a story in to only 100 words? SO challenging!

To be honest, I have changed one word below from the original published piece. A word that I used in my original submission, but was edited during the editing process. I agreed to the change at the time, but now every time I read it I just feel my original word works better! Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong. (FYI - In line 2, the word 'Suddenly' was edited to 'But' for the eBook.)

Anyway, enough of my ramblings. Without further ado, here's my piece from 100 RPM:

GONE
Inspired by: "Already Gone" by Kelly Clarkson 
She stood before him, head down, fiddling nervously with the heart-shaped key ring - a gift from him. Suddenly, it slipped from her fingers, crashing to the pavement.  
She stared at the pieces; the loss was overwhelming. Blinking back tears, she looked up and met his gaze. 'I have to go,' she said. 'I'm sorry.' She turned away quickly, trying to ignore his agonised expression.  
'Wait ...' He reached out in vain to stop her. In seconds, she was in her car, the engine running. She paused to look out the window at him. 'I love you,' she whispered. 
Then she was gone.  
*   *   *

Dramatic, huh? I see the word 'She' too many times in this now, but I'm proud of it anyway. I wonder if the Kellster would like it? :)

J
xox

2 comments:

  1. I think she'd love it! And isn't it a strange feeling to revisit a piece of your own writing sometime later. It always amazes me how much better we can critique a piece when time has allowed our emotional involvement to settle. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, Bron. True! Lovely to see you. :) x

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your thoughts. J xox