Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Books I love: Barracuda, Return to Life & Gone Girl

image

I've already read three books during these school holidays, which is something of a recent record for me. I'm usually only grabbing a small bit of reading time each day at best, but I'm spending a lot more time with books at the moment. (Not to mention that I don't watch a lot of tv these days either.)

I finished our latest book club offering, Barracuda by Christos Tsiolkas. LOVED it. Couldn't put it down, and it was so well written. I'd really recommend you pick it up this summer/winter (depending where you are) and give it a go. Can't wait to discuss it with my Book Club in Feb.

The second book I read was Return to Life by Jim B Tucker, MD. This is a non-fiction book written by a scientist who has studied kids who seem to recall a past life. Interesting. I'm a healthy sceptic of all things supernatural, but love reading about this stuff and forming my own opinion. There's one case in particular in the book that I defy you to not believe in - even a little! It's the story of James - a kid who seems to have been an American pilot during WWII - fascinating stuff! Towards the end it started to get a bit technical and I found myself skipping pages (I like reading the case studies the most), but worth a read if you're in to that kind of thing.

The third book I picked up was Gillian Flynn's Gone Girl. Brilliant. Couldn't put it down either, but admittedly was a little disappointed with the ending. Not sure if I'm completely comfortable about the ending, but it was definitely a great read. (And you might love the ending - I don't know!)

I'm now reading a classic I've wanted to read for a while: Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights. Let's see how that goes. There are a number of other books I'm itching to read and I'm one of those readers who often start and stop with books - or have a few on the go. I just thought, after the last few books I've read, it might be nice to pick up a classic.

Whatchya reading at the mo?

J
xox

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your thoughts. J xox