Thursday, June 28, 2012

Addicted

image

Now my kids are all in school, I've often toyed with the idea of returning to work. I'm fortunate that's an option for me right now. (Counting my blessings, and all that.) I guess I'm thinking of this year as my 'gap year'. The one during which I can indulge in stuff I haven't been able to do since having kids. Like the writing course I'm taking (I'm on to my second, actually), weekly tennis lessons (women are sometimes given a hard time about tennis lessons - I'm not trying to be fancy, I'm just trying to exercise in a fun and social way, okay?), and helping out in the Library at school. Youngest Son's class come in on the afternoon I'm there, and I scan their books and say, 'Thank you for shopping at the Library. Please come again!' They think it's so funny. I love entertaining Kindy-age kids. When they get to Year 5 your jokes suddenly become 'SO embarrassing'. Sigh.

But I digress.

I know I don't want to go back to my job pre-children as a Secretary/PA. I worked for a large Australian bank before I left to have Eldest Son in 2002, and although I enjoyed the first few years or so there, eventually I couldn't get out of the place fast enough. In my job, I was surrounded by many intelligent, talented and passionate people in banking, but there were just as many (if not more) money-hungry, arrogant, ladder-climbing, self-centered and greedy employees (mostly managers and higher) I dealt with daily. *shudders*

Over the years, I thought working in a book shop would be fabulous. To be honest, I'd still like to do that, but I've come to realise I can't afford to. Because I am completely and utterly addicted to buying books. I can't stop. I buy them far faster than I can read them, and since recently discovering online bookstores (yes - I was a little slow when it came to the online shopping world), it's become even easier to indulge my addiction.

I knew the old bedside table book stack was climbing. I mean, it was impossible to miss because I see it every night before I climb in to bed. In actual fact, it got so high at one point, I became concerned about sustaining a possible head injury whilst sleeping should the stack suddenly become unsteady, so I moved a number of books to the bookshelf in the study. (Out of sight, out of mind?)

Just recently, I jokingly referred to the number of books to read as '147' to a friend. A bit of an exaggeration, but it did get me thinking about the number of books awaiting my perusal. When Chrissie Swan tweeted the other day that she had over thirty books pending, I finally counted mine up.

Are you ready?

Okay, here it goes...

I have 31 books in my 'to read' pile.

There. I said it.

I know I have to stop. I must. Otherwise I'll never catch up! Admitting an addiction is the first step, right?

Perhaps if I do return to work soon, a job working in a Library would suit me better?

What's in your book pile at the moment...and more importantly - how many books are in it? What's  your addiction?

Jodie
xox

13 comments:

  1. OH I can relate to this Jodie, the pile on my bedside table is definitely at the dangerous stage, of course I have done nothing about it yet. It will come as no surprise to you that mine are all sewing magazines and craft books! I also scour op shops and the internet regularly for more to add to my collection. Maybe we need to start a self help group??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we do need to start that group, Christie! Actually, your comment made me think about my magazines. I subscribe to two, and the last couple of issues I received of both? Haven't read them yet. *sigh*

      Help! xox

      Delete
    2. Did you list your 31 somewhere? I'm curious. Too nervous to count my own pile!

      Delete
    3. Hi Primmich. No, I didn't. But perhaps I should?! Mixture of fiction and biographies - a couple of books on writing. I was very afraid to count the pile, but I think it's good that I did...now that number pops in to my head when I see an interesting book in the shops!! ;)

      Delete
  2. I've listed a bunch of mine on pinterest so I can then comment on them when I'm done...at the end of 2012 I'll have a good idea of what I've read for the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have now also discovered the world of reading on the iPad... oh dear, I can buy books with a click of the keyboard and in less than a minute I have the book all there ready to go.

    I'm not really helping you with this am I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. omg, never thought about my iPad!!! Now I can have a virtual book pile too!!!! ;)

      Delete
    2. Ah, yes. Actually, I downloaded Kindle for iPad because of my eBook, but I haven't bought any other eBooks for it yet. I really love, love, love paper books, and I'd DIE if they stopped printing them. Gah!

      xox

      Delete
  4. I am addicted to books. I browse with gusto, happy to let my fingers wander over new books, old books, fiction, non fiction and then with an outstretched hand, I reach forward and pluck my new victim from it's position, grasp my wallet, part with my cash and then once home, deposit my new purchase onto my "reading pile" which currently stands at.....DRUM ROLL PLEASE.....

    .............a massive 67 books.

    Yes I have a problem. No I don't want help with it. ;-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG - You ARE addicted! And you know what? You've almost made me feel better... :) xox

      Delete
  5. Nothing makes me happier than having a great 'to read' pile. I get so sad when I finish a good book and I love knowing there's something great to replace it with.

    I love reading about what other people are reading and adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, Kel. It's quite comforting in one way having a 'to read' pile. I'll never be without a book to grab at a moment's notice at this rate!

      xox

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your thoughts. J xox