Sunday, May 20, 2012

Coming soon




Remember when I briefly mentioned in this post that I had entered a flash fiction comp earlier this year?

Well, here's the full story: In January this year, I was sitting around the house one day during the school holidays checking out Twitter. Which, to be honest, is not something I find much time to do these days. But that day, I needed a distraction. (Doesn't any mother need some distraction at times when their kids are home 24/7 and getting up to mischief?)

I saw a link for a flash fiction competition that caught my eye. I followed it and found author Caroline Smailes

Caroline decided to launch a writing challenge to celebrate the launch of Xbox Live TV, and its integration with YouTube. The challenge for Caroline was to put together a collection of flash fiction (100 word) stories inspired by songs on YouTube, to be included in an eBook and then published on Amazon. ALL proceeds from the book were then to be donated to the charity One in Four (a registered charity in the UK which provides support and resources to people who have experienced sexual abuse and sexual violence).

Caroline originally aimed for a collection of 33 stories. Instead, after receiving over 350 entries, she ended up with 100 stories for the project (hence the eBook's name). The winners were announced in this post on her blog.

The eBook, 100 RPM - One Hundred Short Stories Inspired By Music includes my own entry: Gone, (inspired by Kelly Clarkson's song, Already Gone). 

By the time I found Caroline's post, the cut-off for all entries was at the end of that day. I figured: I'll just give it a whirl and see what happens. And to be honest, I didn't think writing a 100 word story would be too difficult. Ha! Boy, was I wrong! 100 words is a couple of paragraphs or so, and to get a whole story in to so few words is really challenging. 

In any case, I came up with Gone, and figured I'd just enter it and see what happens. (As my Dad always says to me, 'Jodie, you've gotta be in it to win it.') I was so amazed and over the moon when Caroline's email arrived a day or so later announcing my entry had been chosen to be included. I've experienced some big highs with my writing in recent times, but admittedly, this was the biggest by far!  

I'm so excited about the book. The introduction has been written by none other than singer/songwriter, Nik Kershaw. Remember the song, Wouldn't it be Good that featured in the 80s flick Pretty in Pink (one of my favourite films EVER)?! (It's the only movie I can directly quote from, and my Year 12 ball gown was, you guessed it, pink satin and lace!)

Anyway, I've been fortunate to see a copy pre-publication, and it's a great read. I feel so privileged to be included amongst so many great writers. Caroline and all those involved have done a great job getting the eBook together.

Publication day is 31 May. Stay tuned, people!

J
xox

7 comments:

  1. wow! You had me at old 80's drool Nik Kershaw lol
    Mu idol as a teen hubba hubba

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can barely believe it, Dannie! xox

      Delete
  2. So excited for you! Can't wait to read it x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Jodie, that's brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's today! And this is SUCH a cool concept! Standing by... x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your thoughts. J xox