Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Writing stories again


Over the past year or so, I've not only rediscovered a love of reading fiction, but I've also experienced a renewed love of writing it.

I wrote a lot of fiction during my school years (both at school, and in my spare time. Gosh. Remember when there was such a thing as having 'spare time'?). The creative writing section of my English exam papers was the only part I could truly rely on to get me a pass mark on my paper. (I was terrible at comprehension and only mediocre at essay writing.) But once I left school, I stopped writing fiction altogether.

When I started blogging in 2009, people around me started saying things like, 'You should write a story!' I laughed the suggestions off. I hadn't written fiction for so long, and I was convinced I couldn't do it anymore.

However, last year a fellow blogger and friend on Twitter (thanks Susan!) linked to InkPaperPen where Gill hosts a writing exercise called Write on Wednesdays ('WoW'). The first week I tentatively checked out WoW, Allison Tait (a very talented writer, author and blogger), was hosting a 'Master Class', and the subject was 'Romance'. This used to be my thing: writing romance. So I decided to join in, and was hooked.

During the summer school holidays earlier this year, my confidence in writing fiction had increased just enough for me to enter a flash fiction competition on a whim. My 100-word entry, along with ninety-nine others, was chosen to be included in an eBook to be sold on Amazon later this year. (I'll tell you more about the eBook as more details come to hand.) Having a win under my belt with an albeit very small fiction piece, was further encouragement for me. One hundred words is not a lot, but it's a start, right?

And so, I decided to tackle a creative writing course that I will start next week through the Sydney Writers' Centre. I've chosen their online course because it suits me to do it in my own time, and from the comfort of my own home.

Wish me luck, will you? I'm nervous. But I'm also really excited to be doing something I've wanted to do for a very, very long time.

J
xox

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish you all the luck in the world although I'm sure you won't need it! Nice to hear you're following your dream. One day I want to do one of their magazine writing courses as its something I have always wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy! I'm scared I'll disappoint myself and find I've lost the ability to create stories, but I won't know if I don't try, will I?! xox

      Delete
  2. All the best Jodie. I've also rediscovered my love of writing fiction recently. I'm sure you'll do well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks, Dorothy. I'm nervous, but very excited!

      Delete
  4. Good luck honey. Although you don't need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad to hear you are doing this Jodie. I wish you lots of luck! And congrats on the success of your 100 word story, that's fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, C. I'm very excited about the story. I can't wait for the eBook to come out!

      Delete
  6. So pleased that the writing bug has taken hold AND that you are doing something so interesting for yourself. Can't wait to read what you write. I've loved your contributions to Write on Wednesdays. Can I now call myself your muse, since I started you down this path?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dear muse...without you, I wouldn't be here! xoxoxox

      Delete
  7. Oh Jodie, you will rock it! I have always loved your creative writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Miss P. You've always been so supportive of my writing, and I really, really appreciate it. xox

      Delete
  8. You will be fantastic! I loved reading your WoW pieces.
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, honey. I'm not even going to attempt to write like you - amazing - but I'll enjoy writing in my own way. ;) xox

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by and for sharing your thoughts. J xox